To import data into CRM requires your time and attention. It is not hard, but doing it wrong may have serious consequences for you. Therefore, it is important to be careful and work systematically. If you want help with importing you may call us (+46 46 270 48 00) to get a cost estimation and to book a consultant.
Import to Lime CRM
- You need to be a super user or an adminstrator to use the import module.
- If you are using Lime CRM v 10.12 or later there is also the text import module. In older versions, this is a separate add-on.
The import file must not exceed 10MB
Note the following before starting:
Import key - Which import key should be used? The key could be a customerID or similair that is unique for a company. Then, you minimise the risk for doublets. However, if you are going to import companies that you know are not within the database this is not as important. A key could also be two fields in combination: for example, the company name together with postal city.
Time - Make sure that you have enough time to do your import and that you are alert. Often, one needs to look the file through and see if anything needs to be merged or splitted. Sometimes, you also need to look at the import file for strange chars like \ or / if you are importing alternatives to a list. Data, in a written field, will not be overwritten if you choose to update the existing card. To sum up: To put import keys , and to make sure that the data is directed correctly, is nothging that we reccomend you to do 4.45 on a Friday afternoon. ;-)
Test import - We suggest that you try with one line before starting with the full import. Is the information stored correctly? Then, you may continue. The field mapping is not saved, but if you want to see the mapping you have done, take a screen shot while running the import guide before you do your test import.
Import format - Import module can import text files (.txt) and with those the following separators:
- Comma (,)
- Semicolon (;)
Import field type - You may import:
- Yes No
- Formatted text
You can not import what we in LISA call Set fields
The import mopdule imports one table at a time. If you want to import both companies and persons you need to do the importing twice. See the following example:
Structuring an Excel-list
If the file that needs to be imported has another format than .xls we recommend that you open up and edit the file in Excel. This is how it can be strucutred in order to work out:
In the list, you put column titles and then, you imput data for every row. We recommend usage of an import key.
Once the file is structured correctly, save it as either a tab separated .txt (recommended) or a comma separated .csv. Put the file in a place that is easy to find in your computer.
Time for the import
Choos in the menu: File>Import and then start the Standard impoort. Sometimes, you will get a security alert concerning certificates. Pick "Yes" to be able to proceed.
Click on Browse file and choose the tab separated text file that you saved on, for example, your desktop.
The import module has four steps. You can not revise, so if you did wrong you need to start from the beginning.
Import a company
- Choose Destination: You can now see that there is a guide. When you have chosen a file, you must choose the delimiter and the table that the data should be imported to. For example, Tab and Company.
- Map fields: Next step, you see the columns that are in your list. These fields are linked to the right ones in Lime CRM. You can also indicate which is the import key, indicated with green. As mentioned before, the key must be something unique in order to avoid doublets.
- Summary - When all fields are linked with their fiels in Lime CRM it is time to go to the next step. Either, we say that we are going to import new information or that we are importing to existing records. It may also be that we are importing to update existing data. Note! If you choose the second alternative, to update, and the field is empty an existing data will not be overwritten with empty.
- Import - click on the Import to finish.
Click Go to import page to see the status of your import.
The import is portioned into the database step by step which means that performance in the program is not affected for a colleague even though you are running an import. Also, it means that the import may take a while and therefore have the status Running for a period of time. Once the import is done, it will change status to Complete. If something is wrong within the import file, the status Done with errors is shown. Click on the right side to show what rows those errors relates to within the import file.
Click F5 to check so that the result is within the Lime CRM database.
The same list can be used again to import persons. If done as above there are only companies added in Lime CRM. Start all over but choose Person as a destination instead of Company once clicking "Import to".
Do the same thing as before: link columns and lime fields. If there is no unique key, the email is often the best available thing to use as key and you may choose it by clicking the green box. To match the contacts with the right company choose to link Company with Company. Then, match with the company name.
You may choose as above when you do the import.
Now, the import is made for two different objects. Check the results in Lime CRM database once clicking F5. The newly added data is easily found by using a filter that shows everything created the last hour.
- Well done! And do not forget to celebrate!